Thursday, September 4, 2008

His way VS My Way

Last night I finally finished up the organization that needed to be done in our room. It mostly consisted of putting away clothes, sorting socks, and clearing the floor. It took quite awhile too because I was doing it MY WAY. I made sure everything had a proper place and was put away nicely. Shortly after I finish Jon got ready to get in the shower and I see the clothes he has been wearing on the floor. I say, "Jon, I just spent the last couple of hours cleaning our room. Please put those in the dirty hamper or in the closet." (referring to his clothes of course.) I don't pay attention to what he does with them because I am off doing something else that needed to be done. He gets in the shower and I return to the bedroom a few minutes later. I see that the shirt is still on the floor, the shorts are not in the hamper, and I assume he has at least managed to put those in the closet. I go to investigate and this is what I find.
Does something stick out like a sore thumb to you??
Do you see all the nicely folded and organized clothes? Then do you see the shorts to the left that my husband "put away?"
After Jon got out of the shower we had to have a little talk. His response to the way his shorts were put away was, "I could wear them tomorrow." Oh, and then he closed the closet door and smiled at me as if to say, "See, now you can't even see them." Needless to say if I want my closet looking the way I want it to look then I will have to fold and put away his clothes. I thought I wasn't having a baby for another week- so why do I feel like I am taking care of one already!? Ha ha ha- just kidding honey. I am beginning to realize that there are things you do that you will probably do the rest of your life regardless of how many times I ask you not to- old habits die hard.
side note: I was just thinking that I am being punished now for what I did to my mom when I lived under her roof. She is a VERY clean person, and well, as a teenager I was not. When she would ask me to clean my room I would make a fuss and say, "Why? nobody is going to see it." Karma people- what goes around comes back around.

16 comments:

  1. this is HILARIOUS!!! it reminds me so much of Jared!
    I absolutly love the organized shelves in the closet! I wish we had them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're nesting!!! Keep your bags by the door ;-).

    On a more directly-related note, just $.02 from my own experience, try to relax about things being folded in a particular way, because if you don't, the first few months of having Baby around are going to kill you - not much time for re-folding and such, LOL! But it's a little easier then, because you're TOO BUSY TO CARE. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the organization! I fold shirts differently than Walker. Sometimes I catch him re-folding his shirts right after I did them. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my two cents are this - one: you know you're married to a larson, right? and two: it could be much much much worse. i don't think you ever saw jon's "closet" aka the laundry room when he was in high school. it was not a pretty sight. i still can't believe that carol never intervened. i don't stress with wade about folding, so at least it's folded and put away. but a while back i got sick of wade's clothes on the floor, so i bought a separate laundry basket that i kept in our closet and if wade left his clothes on the floor, i just threw them in his laundry basket. and then like a week later, he'd ask about a particular item of clothing and i would refer him to his basket. at least that way it's off the floor and out of sight. good luck my friend, but again, refer to number one when you're frustrated and puzzled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather you really are not alone. You are lucky that Jon's actually made it into the closet though! I would be shocked if Dan's made it that far. I feel like I am taking care of a child a lot of times as well. Dan leaves his clothes all over the house. I got laundry baskets & told him if he doesn't put it in the basket then it wont get washed. I end up folding the stuff but he never manages to put his clothes away. So frankly we don't have room for a child in our house because our spare room is filled with a pile of my husbands clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I know exactly how you feel. I'm always cleaning up after Curtis. I feel like I already have 3 kids. So I guess after this baby comes it will be like I have 4 kids. ha ha I also don't organize his part of the closet very often anymore since it seems like a waste of time but it still drives me crazy! Men, can't live with them, can't live without them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Heather. These are the exact situations and conversations I have with Josh on a regular basis. With his closet, the garage, and the one little area of the house I let him put his stuff. Some people just don't get it. But I agree. I was the same way with my parents too. How did we ever change? I guess it's good we did so both spouses aren't messy. Good luck with the rest of your life!!!! Oh and my saying to Josh FREQUENTLY is that I am raising two boys. I guess I'll have to add a little lady into that somewhere soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Heather! That's pretty funny! I must comment though that I'm sure Chris gets a little aggitated with my "messiness" sometimes... but I get to it when I can.. LOL... Aren't husbands great!?!?!?

    He just fixed my T"H"at. My H was capitalized. "that's gonna bother me" Funny when you're sitting next to a spellchecker... LIVE TOO!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you on the Karma as well! And I learned a long time ago, that if I wanted our closet to remail color-coordinated and organized, I would be putting Joe's clothes away. Small price to pay for the sweet satisfaction of a perfectly organized closet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think every husband is like this! Mine does the same thing! But I love him anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love everyones comments. Your brother Scott is actually pretty good about his clothes and the closet... but when it comes to all of his pack rat stuff... UGH! You can tell you're about to have a baby (see Kannie's comment). Once you have a kid or 2 or 4 you have to let some of those things go. I still have little panic attacks about my house being "messy" or unorganized. I love Kelly's idea about the laundry basket in the closet! She might have to be my new buddy with great ideas like that! Unfortunately, us ladies probably all have one thing that makes our husbands crazy. I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok....this is SO funny!!!! You know I could never complain about Jeff he is, and from what I have heard, always has been a neat freak! I'm the complete opposite I'm "care free" :) I should show you a pic of our closet...I would make Jon look like an angel! All and all I drive Jeff crazy...maybe it's a Stewart gene :) hahah
    ps CAN'T WAIT FOR THE BABY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think paybacks are GREAT!!!! Remember all those times growing up when I'd ask you to clean your room? WOW, you're day has come! LOL LOL LOL I remember after you were living in SLC before you got married and I called you and you said you were cleaning your apt and picking up after your roommate and you said "I'm becoming my mother" LOL I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL- Karma, so true- for me as well. Chad is the same way- definitely choose your battles. Can't wait for the baby Heather!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL- Karma, so true- for me as well. Chad is the same way- definitely choose your battles. Can't wait for the baby Heather!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you never look in my closet!!! :)

    ReplyDelete