it's becoming more challenging & difficult.
I don't know what it is, but Rowan, although he is feeling better, has been a real handful the past couple of days. He's been whinier and hard to entertain. Is he bored? Are we not stimulating him with enough activities? Suggestions? I don't want toys to be the answer, but he seems really bored these days. You can only go outside for so long during the summer in Arizona. I am sure being cooped up inside isn't helping his demeanor. Do any of you moms know of educational toys for 8 month old babies?
I'm not much help. Vivienne is almost 8 months and her favorite thing to do is chew on shoes... not so good. We do have a johnny jump up she likes, and it keeps her in one place. So, send the advice you get on over to me! :)
ReplyDeleteStart reading to him. It's amazing how much they like to be read to, even at 8 months!
ReplyDeleteRansack the kitchen! You would be amazed at how much they love pots and pans and spoons and measuring cups. The next year is going to be a real test. Right now Rowan probably is just frustrated because he wants to be able to be on the go, but he is not there yet. Once he gets there then he will be a real handful. Sing to him with hand movements. Itsy bitsy spider and patty cake are a few of our faves. You are going to have less time for yourself, becuz you are going to be Rowans primary form of entertainment. It won't be that way for ever, so enjoy the fact that he wants your undivided attention now!
ReplyDeleteSummer has always been hard for me. Little Lady really likes the outside, so we got a kiddie pool. We would fill it up in the morning and let the sun heat the water a bit. By about 2 she was ready for some water fun.
ReplyDeleteA great thing my friend does is sing the ABC's and sign the letters. His little girl just loves it. When he gets to the end and puts his hand down, she pulls it back up over and over till he starts again.
Good luck finding things he likes, and make sure he is getting enough sleep. Heat really wears kids out quick!!
When we lived in an apartment I got one of those small 3 ring pools and put it on my back patio. We lived on the second floor. it fit perfectly and Alex would play for hours. I just filled it up with a Pitcher of water. Bubbles help too. (just read the comment above about the pool.LOL) My kids love Lap Sit story time (hand rhymes and books) at the library. You can see if there is anything like that in your area. My kids also liked an activity table. I think they are cheap at walmart.
ReplyDeleteI know you said you don't want toys, but I think even the most basic things are okay and fun. Get some wooden blocks, babies love to knock them over and they are educational too. Let him be where you are, like your friend said about playing with spoons in the kitchen. They like to mimic what you do. They go through hard/easy phases, it really is tough. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteYes, definitely reading & safe (noisy :-) ) kitchen tools and blocks... things that have some sort of cause-effect thing, too - those little tap-and-play pianos are good. I know Kiddo liked those stacking rings, balls to roll, and his little piano at that age! :-) (they can't roll it back to you, but they LOVE interacting with you as you roll it to them!)
ReplyDeleteOther than that, though, you might try letting him sit and look around & entertain himself for a while - sometimes the fussiness is from overstimulation, and letting them just kind of take things in helps them learn at their own pace.
Good luck! :-) It's a fun age! :-)
NOt aaron, but erica!
ReplyDeleteToys are a way your baby learns. The best are basic blocks, rings, cups, balls etc. You don't have to have all the noisy things just something he can explore and find things out with. You are doing great and rowan seems very happy. Besides, he was just sick and sometimes they are a little more whiney after that. Good luck
ReplyDeletePlaygroups! Even though he is little, he will love just sitting and watching the kids all around him.
ReplyDeleteI love his cute teeth coming in, so fun. Maybe not so fun for him though. I tend to run out of things to do with Emma but something we like to do is go to the library. I'm not sure about Arizona but up here they have free discovery time where they read stories and sing songs. Another thing that Emma loves to do is help me clean. I give her a wipe or wash cloth and she follows me around. I have not done this one yet but when I was in home ec we had some kids come and we did finger painting with pudding, you just get vanilla pudding and use food coloring, it's messy but fun.
ReplyDeleteDont feel guilty. Children are a lot of work. You are doing a great job! So Proud of You Girly!
ReplyDeleteI am not sure about a solution, but I am sure that I love your boots!
ReplyDelete